Creating a Bedroom Retreat
After a long day, who doesn’t want to retreat to a cozy bedroom, read a good book or just put your feet up without any distractions? The bedroom should be an oasis, a place of refuge, a chance to relax and unwind or simply meditate the cares of the day away. The bedroom should be a place where you get your best sleep. Creating a bedroom retreat is easier to do than it sounds. Here are some simple yet proven tips that you can be sure will make your bedroom the first place to get some good R&R. Sweet Dreams!
- A Great Mattress - You can cheap out on anything but not on a mattress. It can be the difference between back pain and a peaceful sleep. Some retailers actually let you try a mattress for 30 days before you commit to it, so take advantage of such offerings and get the one that perfectly fits your body. Waking up rested and ready to start the day can make you feel like a million bucks! There’s no doubt a great mattress is pricey, but a good-quality mattress will last more than ten years, so the cost-per-sleep ratio will definitely be in your favour. Be sure to buy a well-padded mattress that offers correct support and one that’s crafted from natural materials.
- Luxurious Linens - Who doesn’t love cotton? You may prefer linen or silk, but either way get good ones and don’t be fooled by the price of blends. They’re cheap for a reason. Also remember that linens don’t need to be over washed. And please no fabric softener! Try wool laundry balls with a few drops of lavender essential oil in the dryer and you’ll actually prolong the life of your linens. And remember that you can add some colour and geometric shapes – not all palettes have to be neutral. Have some fun and change them often!
- Plump Pillows - A comfy pillow, like a great mattress, is a must. For proper spine alignment, a great pillow is worth its weight in gold. Determine whether you are a back, side or stomach sleeper and purchase accordingly. Don’t opt for the 2 for $29.99 special – you’ll regret it. Since we sleep approximately 25% of our day, don’t you think you’re worth it? Add some monogrammed pillow cases like his and hers for that total comfy hotel vibe. You can also make your bed super cozy looking by adding some colourful throw pillows! For a healthier sleep, opt for hypoallergenic pillows. Feathers attract dust mites, yikes!
- A Fluffy Rug - if your bedroom floor has hardwood, you can anchor the bed by adding a beautiful rug underneath that also acts as a bedside pillow for your toes! While you might not mind a hardwood floor in the summer, your feet will not like it in the winter time. Opt for a wool or natural fibre rug to keep toxicity down in your place of rest.
- Fabulous Bedside Tables - Whether you choose matching or not, think functionality as well as design. Do you like a stack of books by your bed? How about a picture frame, a glass of water, a plant or jewelry holder? No matter what you prefer by your bedside, make sure the side table is a multi-tasker. If you need more space select one with a drawer to tuck away seldomly used items like meds or lotions. Add something colourful like a painted piece in your favourite colour or something complimentary to your bedroom décor. Either way, let it serve you!
- Comfy Chair or Dressing Seat -It’s always easier to have a chair to sit on to read your favourite book or just to put your feet up. You may also have it serve a dual purpose by using it to put your socks on and not have to sit on your bed to do so. Add a lamp and create a cozy corner. If you opt for a dressing seat- placing it at the end of the bed will serve you well. You can add a throw to complete your look and décor.
- Colour - Use colour to create a mood or to break a monochromatic colour palette. Some colours are more relaxing than others. Some texture or pattern can create layers of interest as well as areas pleasing to the eye. Some of the more soothing colours are pale blues, pale yellows, and sea foam greens. But if you’re after some bold colours, use pillows and throws to create a bit of drama. You can also paint or wallpaper one wall – or add a coloured or printed padded headboard to add that bit of colour to break up a neutral palette. You can definitely liven your spirits with a dab of colour whether it’s soft camel or pale blue.
- Something Inspiring - Add your favourite inspirational quote in a frame or over your bed. Perhaps add a few picture frames, your favourite poster or print from a favourite artist – and don’t worry about matching it to your décor. Let it be something that uplifts you and helps you maintain a positive outlook on your day and life in general. For example - blown-up snaps of lovely landscapes –photos of dreamy white-sand beaches or swaying palm trees – anything that will help you drift off to the Land of Nod with ease. You’d be surprised how far a little optimism goes - it can go a long, long way.
- Plants - By adding a plant or two, you can improve on the air quality of your room. Depending on the light source, add a living plant (no dried flowers) ones that purify the air and cost very little. There are some great shade plants too that can improve air quality. This is one room that most people overlook when it comes to plants, but it really is a great spot to host a plant or two. Succulents are low maintenance and can add a splash of green while working to enhance air quality.
- Zero Technology - If at all possible, make your bedroom a tech-free zone after lights out. Nobody wants to hear distracting electronic humming or to be woken up by an unnecessary 2 a.m. text from a demanding best friend or work email. Try it, you really will notice the difference. Zzzzz…
Make this the year you turn your bedroom into your special retreat, a room where you actually want to spend quality time. The bedroom is where you spend the most peaceful hours. Make it your place of refuge.
For more information about our realty services, visit our website and stay updated about new homes for sale in the GTA. http://www.spectrumrealtyservices.com